Defence Force Families
Defence School Mentor
Our school offers the services of a Defence School Mentor (DSM) Christine Letcher to provide assistance to Australian Defence Force (ADF) children and families particularly during their transition into and out of a school on posting or during a parental absence due to deployment, exercise or training.
The DSM will:
- Welcome parents and children into the school community.
- Assist ADF families to integrate into the local community.
- Act as a point of contact for Australian Defence Force families in the school.
- Offer support to children at school during times of parental absence by encouraging parents to keep teachers informed about parental separations so that Chris can assist your child during this time.
- Assist the school to understand the needs of Australian Defence Force parents and their children.
- Monitor ADF children’s personal issues such as friendship, peer groups and classroom difficulties with the support of the Pastoral Care team which includes the Assistant Principal Religious Identity Mission (APRIM), School Chaplain and the School Counsellor.
- Provide opportunities for ADF families to meet other ADF families within the school community.
- Maintain contact with ADF families who are enrolled in the school.
- Organise farewell activities and provide support for ADF children when a child is moving to a new school.
The Defence School Mentor works closely with the Educational Liaison Officer (EDLO), from the Defence Community Organsiation to support our Defence families who is able to provide specialised information and educational support to ADF families.
Please click here to guide you to Gawler City Council web site. Their site contains all information about the town of Gawler.
The below link will provide you with a variety of sporting clubs that are located within the Gawler and surrounding areas.